Pages

Friday, September 18, 2009

Online Support Groups

In the years that I’ve been in the Retirement Home/Assisted Living business I have received very little training in dementia care. One place had no training at all and the other gave employees 6 hours a year. It was done in one day and consisted of reading materials–that we couldn‘t keep! There was no input, insight, or examples given by a trainer–there was no trainer! Very little of the ‘training’ was retained since it was too much too absorb so quickly.
I’m an avid believer in online support forums. I’ve belonged to several over the years. Some were for fun and learning things like creating art or cross-stitch needlepoint, some were for more serious support like surviving abuse  or going through an illness or a life-phase that was hard to cope with alone. Without those support groups, I would have been a lost soul trying to struggle on my own.
So, I decided to search for and join some groups for caregiving and for learning more about dementia and Alzheimer’s Disease. I found three that I liked, that were very informative and user-friendly. I joined and posted my introduction on why I was there. Two of them I received one reply each. The third one, though, gave me so much feedback so quickly, sometimes within minutes and from several members! What a great site it is!
Eldercare Forum is so warm and inviting. They are very knowledgeable on the day-to-day aspects of caregiving–they have been there done that!! The forum is part of their informational site ElderCareOnline. The site offers many valuable tips on preparing the home for one with dementia, the experience of living in a nursing home, a bookstore and a Caregiver Education Series. Their Alzheimer’s/Dementia Care Channel  gives links to ‘Stages of Alzheimer’s Disease’, ‘Behavior Management‘, ‘Caregiving Day by Day’ and much more.
If you’re feeling overwhelmed and need a shoulder to lean on (or cry on) then this is the place for you. They will welcome you with open arms.
Then there is the The Family Caregiver Forum  This forum is for all family caregivers–not just for Alzheimer’s or Dementia–who care for a parent, spouse, child, or other family member.
I joined this past Saturday night and, by the following night, I received several replies that were very informative and supportive. The members made me feel very welcome and part of their family.
The forum is part of the site ‘National Family Caregivers Association’ which educates, supports, empowers and speaks up for the more than 50 million Americans who care for loved ones with a chronic illness or disability or the frailties of old age.
Please, if you are in need of support and want to be warmly welcomed to this group, sign up and join this great ‘family’!
(Links to these forums are also in my sidebar.)
SS Siggy

No comments:

Post a Comment