Pages

Friday, September 18, 2009

Dealing with Dementia

Dealing with people who have dementia is so very hard. It requires much patience and understanding.
I deal with people who have dementia, on a daily basis, at work. Of the 80 residents we have, over 75% of them have dementia in one stage or another. It can be heartbreaking. I don’t know how family members deal with it. I can’t imagine my own mother not knowing who I am! The feeling must be devastating.
There are many residents that I’m very close to and have know the past 5 years.
It’s very sad when they don’t know my name. They know who I am, they see me every day, and I have wonderful interactions with them. But, five minutes later, it is as if it never happened.
Sometimes, it’s less than five minutes. We have one table of four ladies who have Alzheimer’s. I’ll take their lunch order, go to the next table to take their order and they call me back over to ask “When are you going to take our order?” I have to explain that I took their order and the cook is working on it. I walk away, to turn in my orders and fix their drinks, etc. but every time I walk by their table, I am asked again–and again–about their order so I have to repeat my self again–and again. Yes, it can be frustrating. Patience! Patience! Deep breaths!
One resident there is so much fun. I’ve known her for over 2 years, since she moved in. She is a cusser, she pulls no punches, she says it like it is. I just love her! She used to be the Head Surgical Nurse at our local hospital, very dignified, very tough. Sadly, her secret life caught up with her as she has alcohol-related dementia. She is only 60-plus. She doesn’t even look like she should be here, she looks so young. When she sees me, she just lights up. She banters with me and acts all tough then she’ll hug me so tight and laugh and we’ll joke with each other. She is not like that with anyone else. She remembers how she interacts with me but she doesn’t remember my name.
Then there’s one lady who is simply just ‘lost’. She knows her own name but that’s about it. You have to take her to her table, show her how to sit down, show her how to use her silverware. She doesn’t understand the concept of eating anymore. Every meal, she must be instructed through the entire process again. Between meals, she just sits in the lobby “reading” the same magazine over and over. If she’s allowed to stay in her room, she will just get into bed and stay there. So, we all try to keep her active but it’s pretty much a lost cause.
But, I keep taking care of them in the dining room, I chat with their families (when and if they come to visit)and let them know how they are doing. I love them, I feel bad for them–these lost wandering souls who have no memories. So sad.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
These are some things I have learned, over the years, through our Dementia Training classes that might interest others……
Dementia definition: Dementia is a mental disorder characterized by a general loss of intellectual abilities involving impairment of memory, judgement, and abstract thinking as well as changes in personality. Dementia is a condition of many diseases;
dementia itself is not a disease. Dementing conditions are caused by an abnormal disease process that can affect both younger and older people.
The term dementia denotes memory loss. Medication can slow the progression of dementia, but damage to the brain cannot be reversed.
The losses caused by dementia interfere with a person’s ability to function normally in social and occupational activities.
There are over 100 conditions that mimic dementia: reactions to medications, emotional distress, metabolic disturbances (for example: that sick feeling you get if you worked a double shift and did not eat or sleep), kidney failure, hypothyroidism, liver failure, vision and hearing problems, nutritional deficiencies, infections, and brain tumors.
Diseases that contribute to dementia:
–Alzheimer’s disease–An irreversible neurological disorder.
–Alcohol Related Dementia–May occur as a sequel to chronic alcohol abuse.
–Stroke or multiple small strokes
–Vitamin B-12 deficiency–A form of anemia
–Parkinson’s Disease–A progressive neurological disease
–Cerebral Diseases–diseases of the brain
–Metabolic disorders–something that has upset the the body’s natural balance
–Poor nutrition
Aging Issues of Dementia:
–Memory Impairment (recent memories first)
–Disorientation–may not know where they are or how they got there
–Apraxia–Inability to execute a skilled or learned motor act
–Agnosia–Loss of ability to recognize objects, people, sounds, shapes or smells
–Aphasia–Loss of the ability to speak or write or to understand spoken or written language

SS Siggy

No comments:

Post a Comment