Pages

Friday, September 18, 2009

Elephant Stew!

This is an honest-to-goodness recipe in an old cookbook published by a church, by it’s members, in the 1970’s. I just had to post it as it made me bust out with laughter so I wanted to share it with you.
(from “Life Grows Better with Good Cooks” published by Norris Chapel United Methodist Church, Auburn Indiana)

Elephant Stew

1 elephant (medium size)
2 rabbits (optional)
Salt and pepper
Cut the elephant into small bite-size pieces. This should take about 2 months.
Add enough brown gravy to cover.
Cook over kerosene fire for about 4 weeks at 465 degrees.
This will serve 38 people. If more are expected, 2 rabbits may be added, but do this only if necessary as most people do not like to find “hare” in their stew.
(Recipe from Martha Albert)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Things are going well with Mom. A few days ago, I noticed my energy level dipping and I was feeling a little down and no motivation. I realized it was from being in this dark house for days on end.
The next morning I got up (I’m usually up about an hour before Mom) and I opened all of the curtains in the living room. I opened the front door wide as it has a glass/screen door on the outside and I let that sunshine pour in! I instantly felt relaxed yet energized at the same time. I felt awake for the first time in days! I was a little anxious about what Mom would say when she got up.
She got up and came out to the living room and sat in her chair but didn’t say anything about the curtains being opened. Sis came in a little after that and exclaimed “Wow! It looks so airy and sunny in here. I love it!” Mom still didn’t say anything. Sis and I discussed how dark rooms made both of us feel depressed and gloomy and how much better we feel with the natural light coming in–still nothing said by Mom.
Later that day, I could see Mom looking out the windows and she commented on different things:
“Would you look at that? The flowers over at the neighbor’s are blooming beautifully and look at my rose bush! So many pretty flowers!” or “There goes so-and-so that lives down the street.” or “I see Sis coming!”, etc., etc.
She’s become quite the reporter of various neighborhood activities and I’ve become alive and sane again!
SS Siggy

No comments:

Post a Comment